Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sam-I-Am

Three years ago today I was in Starkville, MS. It was transfer day in our mission, and I had picked up my new companion, Jessica Mellor, earlier that day. Just as I crawled into bed our phone dinged, and I picked it up to see who was trying to get in touch with us so late at night. I saw a Birmingham number that I immediately recognized, and I anxiously opened the text message to see what it said: "Congratulations! You're an aunt!" I couldn't hep the huge grin that came to my face, and I timidly said, "Sister Mellor...I'm an aunt!" And that is how I found out that my first nephew, Sam, had finally come into the world. I couldn't imagine that day how much one little brown-eyed, blonde-haired boy would change my life.
 I met Sam for the first time about three months later. It was so amazing to see him there, all bundled up in his carseat. Even though he was sleeping Nic took him out of the carseat so that I could hold him. From that moment on my heart was his, and I was wrapped around his finger. We have been best buds ever since. I've been blessed to be able to spend a lot of time at his house and be a part of his life. I'm even almost as good as Mommy, sometimes!
 I love the way Sam calls my name, Nanny, whenever he sees me. He is always so full of love and joy, and will come running from wherever to give you a big hug. Sam has always been very cuddly, and I remember the first kiss he gave me. He was standing on my lap and I had been kissing him. Suddenly he leaned forward and gave me the best open-mouthed, drooly baby kiss ever! I was surprised and laughed, which scared him a little, so I gave him another kiss to let him know it was ok. Since then he has become quite the kisser! He lives to give love, and I love it. Sam is so friendly, and inquisitive. I love when he asks questions. He even tells you, "Nanny, I got a question." I love the way that Sam sings, and makes up his own songs from time to time. Sam loves music in all of its forms, and he likes to play his instruments for you. Sam is also very brave! He loves to feed the chickens with Grandpa, something that used to scare me! Sam is also quite the cuddle-bug. When the boys come to G-ville Sam and I get to share a bed. Who knew that one little boy could take up so much space?! Sam loves to take "one toy" to bed, and he uses the term "toy" very loosely. For a while he used to take this metal Christmas tree with bells for ornaments (which he calls his jingle bells) to bed with us. It was so noisy, but he had to have it right there next to him. I lost track of how many times I've had to quietly pry that jingling tree out of his arms, but I love it! This little quirk had led to some fun times as I've made my bed: I find blocks, trucks, sparlky snowflake ornaments, and other random tidbits that make their way as a "toy." I smile each time I find these random toys!
 My heart forever belongs to this little man, and I am grateful for him everyday of my life. When I've had a bad week the only thing I that gets me through is knowing that on Friday I will get a big Sam hug the moment I walk in the door. Quick story, on Thanksgiving I was giving the boys hugs before they had to leave. When I hugged Sam he said, "I see you on Friday!" He knows that Friday is the day Nanny comes to stay for the weekend. Thank you, Sam, for being the first little boy to make me a Nanny!

Our first meeting

Bama Gear!
St. George Temple '11


We be stylin'!

Front-yard Picasso

I love his face!

Jason and Felicia's Wedding

"Nan, you keep me warm and safe and sound?" This is what he said when I got him out of the bath tonight.

Today is Sam turned the big 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment