Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lost and Found

This semester and new school year have been particularly draining for me. I'm feeling burned out from everything, and it has made an impact on the deep-inside me. I L-O-V-E LOVE Christmas music! Normally I am among the first to pull it out and start listening to it insanely early, but not this year. When I hear the first station begin playing Christmas music on Nov.1 I was really annoyed and considered deleting it from my preset. Then another station started playing it a few days later. People on facebook were talking about listening to Christmas music and watching Christmas music. It snowed and I was annoyed that winter was here. I had tons of Christmas music waiting for me to add to my iphone, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. During all of this time I spent annoyed I realized that I am the problem. I decided that in an effort to bring some Christmas cheer into my life I would go ahead and put the music on my phone. The next morning as I was driving to work I began listening to my first Christmas tunes of the season. One was a song from "The Forgotten Carols" soundtrack called "Three Kings Found the Lord." Here is what I heard:
"Somewhere beneath the glitter
That comes this time of winter
In many souls there is a cry
They may not clearly say it
But in their hearts they pray it
And you can see it in their eyes

'I cannot find my way
I cannot find my way
I cannot find my way at all
There are so many voices
So many different choices,
I cannot find my way at all.'"

As I listened to these words I realized that I am one of those souls, inwardly crying out and trying to find my way. I really haven't been myself, and I miss me. I know that sounds strange, but that's where I am. Needless to say, as I listened to this song I found myself shedding tears. In the midst of this I found a piece of myself, the piece that loves Christmas music, and I finally remembered why. Christmas is a holiday that brings hope. The hymns and carols that we sing during this season remind us of that hope. Christ came to the earth to help us find our way, and because of that we have reason to rejoice and hope. I love Christmas music because it speaks to my soul. Even the some of the fun Santa-themed songs have references to the Christ child (at least the old ones, which if we admit, are the best!) which is our focus. I find it so poignant that we celebrate Christmas in the winter. Fall and Winter have a way of weighing people down, but in the midst of it all we have a holiday of hope. We have a big reminder of what life really is all about. This is why I LOVE Christmas music! Today I am so thankful for Christmas music and the reminder that it gives me of my Savior, and for the way that it found me this week.
The rest of the lyrics go with my journey perfectly, so I will share them with you.



"There were three kings
Who followed the star
Of Bethlehem
They came from afar
To praise and honor Him
His light
which beckoned them to see
The Lord of Man
It calls to you,
It calls to me

'We cannot find our way
We cannot find our way
We cannot find our way at all
There are so many voices
So many different choices,
We cannot find our way at all.'

We're not alone,
We have a star
And it shines today
The love that He gave
Teaches how
And shows the way
That light,
it's clear to see
If we have faith and believe
Three kings found the Lord
And so can we.

'We cannot find our way
We cannot find our way
We cannot find our way at all'
Three kings found the Lord
And so can we
There are so many voices
So many different choices,
We cannot find our way at all.'
Three kings found the Lord
And so can we

And if you've lost your way,
That light burns bright today
And it will shine eternally
Three kings found the Lord
And so can we

'We cannot find our way
We cannot find our way
We cannot find our way at all'
Three kings found the Lord
And so can we
There are so many choices
So many different voices,
We cannot find our way at all.'
Three kings found the Lord

'Lord help us find the way
We need to find the way
Lord help us find the way back home'
Three kings found the Lord
And so can we
'Lord help us find the way
We need to find the way
Lord help us find the way back home'
Three kings found the Lord
And so can we
'Lord help us find the way
We need to find the way
Lord help us find the way back home
Lord help us find the way
We need to find the way
Lord help us find the way back home'
And so must we!"

I am so thankful for Christmas music and that it found me.

2 comments:

  1. Next time you're in the car, turn on the Christmas carols and SING!!! Sing LOUD!!! So Loud that the angels in heaven hear and shout, "She's one of us!!!" You are, you know. You will always be my Christmas angel who helped me and kept me from drowning in sorrow. Sing Girl,Sing!!!! It will remind you of who is KING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amanda, you have inspired me again. I love your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete