Sunday, November 9, 2014

"I just can't be quiet..."

Day 7
 I am thankful for a young man whom I shall refer to as "Tim." Tim is currently in 8th grade. He had some classes with my kiddos last year, and a couple this year. I have a girl who has a difficult time going to her classes sometimes. On those difficult days I end up taking her to her classes, and it is a struggle to get her to go in. One time I was luring my chickadee in by going into the room myself and beckoning to her to join me. She eventually came in, but would not go to her desk. Tim came over and started talking to her, asking her how her day was going and offering to take her to her desk. He was being so sweet with my girl! This wasn't the first time that Tim has been so sweet with her, and he is always so genuine with her.

 On Friday we were having another difficult time going to class. I was standing in the doorway of the classroom with my chickadee when Tim looked up and saw us. He immediately came over and put his arm through my chickadee's arm to take her into class. She went with him and went to her seat. my heart was warmed by the knowledge that someone was there to look out for my chickadees.

 I saw Tim between classes later that day and stopped to talk to him and thank him for his kindness. He related to me that he has heard people making fun of my chickadees, and that he can't stand it. Tim wants to stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves. He said that last year he was bullied and teased a lot, and "I just can't be quiet when I hear it happening to someone else." It broke my heart to see the tears in his eyes as he related this to me. Tim is such an amazing kid, and he is taking on such a big role! I am so thankful for his willingness to stand up for students who can't do it themselves. He is a voice of kindness when others would poke fun. I know that he is not alone, and that everyday there are students just like him who are standing up for what is right. I am thankful for each of those people! To Tim, thank you for taking one worry off my mind. It is hard to send my chickadees out into the world, but knowing that you are there to help them makes it a little easier. Tim and I didn't get to chat long yesterday, and we both left the conversation a little teary-eyed. This young man has made such an impression on my heart! Thank you Tim, for not being quiet and instead choosing to be the voice! You are awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment