Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Young Shepherd and the Nativity

Day 19
Today I am thankful for the spirit of the temple. I love going to the temple and taking the "long way" to get there (meaning I walk all around inside Temple Square before actually entering the temple). As I walk I love to just enjoy the sweet spirit that resides on those sacred grounds. It's truly a special place. As I was walking today I found myself walking in-step with a young man. I was off in my dreamy temple-land, so I didn't really notice until he asked me where the entrance to the temple is. I politely pointed it out, and continued walking. I don't know who initiated the rest of the conversation, but for the next few minutes we talked. It was fun. It was his first time going to the SLC temple, and he was there for a friend's wedding. I told him that I really enjoy watching the happy couples come out, and how it makes me laugh a little to see these brides in short sleeves. In Utah. In November. As we reached the main entrance to the temple the young man thanked me again for helping me, and held out his hand. "I'm Lamoni, by the way." My heart smiled. Lamoni and his father are two of my favorite characters from the Book of Mormon! I gave Lamoni my name and we parted ways. Lamoni really helped to set the spirit of the temple for me-unity. As I worshiped today I felt a sense of unity not only with the women whom I was doing the work for, but of the temple workers as well. I saw so many familiar faces too, which added to my feelings of unity.
Upon exiting the temple I was feeling so blessed, peaceful, and full of joy, I didn't want it to end. I gave a little prayer asking to be guided to where I needed to be (hoping that perhaps I would run into Lamoni again...) and started to walk around. Temple Square has all of their lights up for Christmas, and I enjoyed walking around looking at the set-up. (I was there in the afternoon, so no lights for me.) I was drawn to a Nativity scene by the North (?) visitor's center. I saw a little girl in the scene area, dusting off the sheep. A little shepherd in the making! It was really sweet to see her dutifully sweep the snow off of each lamb. As I reflected on the efforts of this young shepherd I found myself gazing on the centerpiece of the Nativity-Mary and Joseph holding their baby, Christ the Lord. It was such a powerful and profound moment, from the feelings of the temple and temple grounds, to the little girl shepherding, to this depiction of our Savior. I don't even know how to put it into words! I was so full of emotion, and I could have stood there all day.
In a little manger our Savior started out His humble life-a life that was lived and spent for the sake of human kind. Because of His life I can have a day like today, full of the temple and the sweet spirit. Because of His life I know that we are all children of God, and that we will all be united with Him again one day. All things are possible through our Savior Jesus Christ, something that He proved to us with His own life. What a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I love you Manda Panda. You are blessed! I can only dream of seeing the Christmas lights at Temple Square so I love this post. I can see it in my heart! I'll put this vision in there with Nic and wrap him up in it so that Christmas will bring peace each year.

    ReplyDelete