Friday, November 11, 2011

The Waitress and the Military-man



Day 11
Today is Veteran's Day, and a HUGE thanks goes out to all those who have served, currently serve, and will serve our great country. " Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13) So many have given so much, including their lives, so that we might live and enjoy our life and our liberty. I am so grateful for the wonderful Veterans in my life, from my Dad, to uncles, cousins, and Grandpa. I am so grateful for the rich legacy of service to one's country that they set for me.
A special day like this calls for more than one thanks. Thanks to our Veterans was offered in so many ways today, one of which was Applebees. They offered a free meal to Veterans, so that's where we went for dinner tonight. As I was sitting at the table with my parents I looked around at all of the men and women who have served our country I was silently thankful. I must admit though, my mood wasn't where it should have been, so I did not properly take in the scene for what it truly was. I noticed a waitress stop to talk to the older gentleman behind me, and she asked him which branch of the military he had served in. Then I noticed her sit down across from him and talk to him about his experiences. Listening to that conversation brought tears to my eyes. Here I had been caught up in my own little world and thought that I was paying tribute to Veterans with my happy thoughts their way, but here was a girl who was actually putting her thanks into play and talking to a man who had come to dinner all by himself. I got teary eyed and silently kicked myself for being so caught up in myself and not noticing this man. It is men and women like him who quietly do their thing and don't ask for recognition that we are honoring this day. This is my thank you to the waitress at Applebees for teaching me about love, honor, respect, and saying thank you, and for teaching me to look beyond myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment