Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lessons from the King

Day 16
Today I am thankful for Elvis. Yes, I really did just write that I am thankful for Elvis! Here is why: today I was driving home from work and listening to the radio (my Christmas music stations, of course!) when Elvis started singing "Here Comes Santa Claus." Lately I've noticed in the older versions of classic Christmas songs that God is mentioned a lot. This song is no exception "Santa Claus knows we're all God's children and that makes everything right...Peace on earth will come to all if we just follow the light, so let's give thanks to the Lord above..." Sounds a little out of place in a song about Santa Claus, but somehow it works!
Listening to Elvis sing about us all being God's children took me back to Tupelo, MS, and the awesome P-day when I got to visit the Elvis Presley birthplace. They have Elvis' home and church where he first sang. When you take the tour you get to watch a video in the church that portrays how Elvis started out singing gospel music. This set me off to thinking about how Elvis was from the South, and in the South God IS life. He is not a part of your life, literally He is your Life. That was one of the things that I loved about the South-how abundant God was, and how no one was afraid to talk about Him, and most especially-that people actually knew God like He was their friend. They shared a close, personal bond with the Lord, and knew that everyday came from Him.
Thinking about this I came to the conclusion that I want to be more like that in my life. Coming home from the South had me in that mindset, but having lived in the West for almost two years now I have lost sight of that. I live in a predominantly LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) culture, but it's not the same as the South. God is reverenced and worshiped in a completely different way, and that experience has added to my life greatly. I have caught sight of that vision again. The King of Rock and Roll has helped me to turn my sights to the King of Kings and Lord of Hosts. So thank you Elvis, for reminding me what is most important in life, and helping me to remember my Friend.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree that the South reverences God in a most intriguing and refreshing way. And I am totally jealous that you visited his birthplace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our little Southern town kids still say the pledge to the flag every day. One of our kids brought home part of a lesson yesterday that included the story of the grateful leper that was healed by Jesus.They pass out flyers with information about events at the local churches. They must not have gotten the memo that God isn't allowed in school because these "red-necks" intend on keeping Him there! I love the South. Ain't God just AWESOME Manda Panda?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Mairy this just take's me back I am so glad I was able to read this. It's a great reminder of memories and I think it's awesome that Elvis sang how we are all God's children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whitty- I LOVED getting to visit the King's birthplace! It was pretty much amazing!

    CH- I love the lack of separation of church and state in Bama! I am right there with those red-necks! And I completely agree with your statement and think it all the time: "Ain't God Awesome?!" :)

    Nessa- Walking down memory lane with you is always so much fun! Remember when I got "lost" so that we could drive by so that I could get a picture? :)

    ReplyDelete