From a young age, I remember my dad quietly setting the example of how to properly show respect for my country. When I was young I would hear my dad tell stories about what it was like when he was in Vietnam, and what it was like when he came back. As I grew older I learned more and more details about my dad's story. Those who were alive during the Vietnam era know that life for those soldiers who fought in that war was difficult, to say the least. Though my dad was a hero, he was not treated that way when he got home, and still today there are people who do not look highly on his sacrifice. Through all of the terrible things that my dad experienced, his love and loyalty to his country never waned. If anything, it grew stronger. This love and loyalty was passed onto his children. I love my country with all that I have and am. I am thankful for this love of country that my dad has passed down to me. I would have to say that it's probably one of my very favorite things that I got from him!
I love you dad, and I am so proud and thankful for your courage to stand by your country, even when people were screaming at you and telling you how wrong you were. You have set a great example for me, and instilled a great deal of respect and pride within my heart. Happy Veterans Day, not only to my dad, but all those who have ever donned the uniform. Our country is stronger because of you, the brave! Thank you!

No comments:
Post a Comment