A few weeks ago I did something that goes against everything I've ever thought about dating: I joined a dating website. (Insert audible gasp here.) I'm still not entirely sold on the idea, but I'm trying it out for 6 months (the length of my membership). It was a little slow going at first. I would look at tons of profiles, but not many men were looking at my profile. It eventually picked up, to the point that I averaged 1 view per day. I sent messages to a few guys in hopes that a spark might ignite. Finally, after what felt like forever, someone sent me a message! It was out of the blue, and not someone I had previously "viewed." He said all the right things (he had me at, "May the odds be ever in your favor...") and seemed like a really genuine, down to earth guy. After about a week of exchanging messages, he asked me out. Wahoo! I real date! I was so nervous and excited, but I said yes. Fast forward through the buying of a new outfit and getting mixed up about where we were meeting, and stop at the date. I had a good time. Conversation was easy and never lagging, and I realized some interesting things about myself. This guy really has it all together, and most importantly, he was the same offline as he was online: genuine and pretty much down to earth. I had a good time, though the evening ended faster than I thought it would. There was no "we should do this again," or "can I have your number," so I figured that was the end of that. It felt good to get this date under my belt, and realize that I don't need to be afraid of dating. Imagine my surprise a few hours later when I got a message from this guy stating that he had a good time, and offered his number if I was interested in going out again. Color me giddy!
Fast forward again. I had been exchanging text messages with this guy, and he asked me out again. I had mixed feelings about this, as I wasn't sure if I was really feeling this. We did go out again, and I made an effort to get to know more about him. Once again, conversation was easy, but I felt like it was really surface. I tried to dig deeper, but I just got more top soil material. I really wanted to find that deep clay. At the end of the date I got a hug, but again, no offer of a next time. A few days later I got a phone call and we talked for a little bit. The conversation ended with "talk to you later," and that is the last I have heard from this guy. It has been about a week and a half of silence. I have sent a couple of messages, but no response. Either he's really not interested, or something big happened in his life. I just wish that I knew which it was.
Never fear, I've stayed active on the dating site. I've sent messages, viewed profiles, and tried to keep it light and interesting. I send messages to guys who seem like they may be my type, and they look at my profile, but never message me back. I'm left wondering, what am I lacking? What is it about me that is not interesting these men? This takes me back to where I started-I wish that I had a matchmaker to let me know what I'm doing right, and what I'm doing wrong. I also want to talk to "may the odds..." guy.
Me: "Hey (Odds) I get that you're not interested, and that's cool, but I have a couple of questions. What did you like about me? What didn't you like? What can I do to be more appealing to men in the future? What suggestions for improvement do you have?
Odds: "Um, well..."
To clarify, I won't actually do this. But I wish that I could! It would be even better if I had the matchmakers following me around and giving me advice in real-time. Men are a confusing species. They say that girls are hard to figure out, but really, it's them! Someday I'll maybe figure it out, but until then I'll play matchmaker/coach for myself. And just like they ask at the end of every episode, I'll ask myself, "Are you ready for love?"
To end, I'll share with you lyrics that state best where I am in life right now. :)
Matchmaker by Fiddler on the Roof Cast
Hodel:
Well, somebody has to arrange the matches,
Chava:
She might bring someone wonderful----
Hodel:
Someone interesting----
Chava:
And well off----
Hodel:
And important---
Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
catch me a catch
Matchmaker, Matchmaker
Look through your book,
And make me a perfect match
Chava:
Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
I'll bring the veil,
You bring the groom,
Slender and pale.
Bring me a ring for I'm longing to be,
The envy of all I see.
Hodel:
For Papa,
Make him a scholar.
Chava:
For mama,
Make him rich as a king.
Chava and Hodel:
For me, well,
I wouldn't holler
If he were as handsome as anything.
Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
Catch me a catch,
Night after night in the dark I'm alone
So find me match,
Of my own.
(spoken)
Tzeitel:
Since when are you in a match, Chava? I thought you just had your eye on your books.
(Hodel chuckles)
Tzeitel con't:
And you have your eye on the Rabbi's son.
Hodel:
Well, why not?
We only have one Rabbi and he only has one son.
Why shouldn't I want the best?
Tzeitel:
Because you're a girl from a poor family.
So whatever Yenta brings, you'll take, right?
Of course right!
(throws scarf over her head, imitating Yenta)
(singing)
Hodel, oh Hodel,
Have I made a match for you!
He's handsome, he's young!
Alright, he's 62.
But he's a nice man, a good catch, true?
True.
I promise you'll be happy,
And even if you're not,
There's more to life than that---
Don't ask me what.
Chava, I found him.
Won't you be a lucky bride!
He's handsome, he's tall,
That is from side to side.
But he's a nice man, a good catch, right?
Right.
Hodel:
Well, somebody has to arrange the matches,
Chava:
She might bring someone wonderful----
Hodel:
Someone interesting----
Chava:
And well off----
Hodel:
And important---
Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
catch me a catch
Matchmaker, Matchmaker
Look through your book,
And make me a perfect match
Chava:
Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
I'll bring the veil,
You bring the groom,
Slender and pale.
Bring me a ring for I'm longing to be,
The envy of all I see.
Hodel:
For Papa,
Make him a scholar.
Chava:
For mama,
Make him rich as a king.
Chava and Hodel:
For me, well,
I wouldn't holler
If he were as handsome as anything.
Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find,
Catch me a catch,
Night after night in the dark I'm alone
So find me match,
Of my own.
(spoken)
Tzeitel:
Since when are you in a match, Chava? I thought you just had your eye on your books.
(Hodel chuckles)
Tzeitel con't:
And you have your eye on the Rabbi's son.
Hodel:
Well, why not?
We only have one Rabbi and he only has one son.
Why shouldn't I want the best?
Tzeitel:
Because you're a girl from a poor family.
So whatever Yenta brings, you'll take, right?
Of course right!
(throws scarf over her head, imitating Yenta)
(singing)
Hodel, oh Hodel,
Have I made a match for you!
He's handsome, he's young!
Alright, he's 62.
But he's a nice man, a good catch, true?
True.
I promise you'll be happy,
And even if you're not,
There's more to life than that---
Don't ask me what.
Chava, I found him.
Won't you be a lucky bride!
He's handsome, he's tall,
That is from side to side.
But he's a nice man, a good catch, right?
Right.

If you need to change who you are to make a guy love you, then he is not the right guy. When you find him he will love you for you not for who he wants you to be. True love takes time and work. My grandmother used to say" sometimes you have to kiss a lot of toads before you kiss your prince" I didn't find my prince until I was 26. Your prince is out there looking for his queen. Be patient. You will find each other!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sheena! Sometimes I need a little reminder... :)
DeleteMairy reading this just reminds me how alike we are. I often wonder how I can be better so that some guy will notice me and notice how wonderful I am. I too, often wonder whats wrong me. The truth of the matter is there is nothing wrong with either of us, I mean come on you are Mairy Poppins practically perfect ;) you just haven't found the right Burt yet but you will!
ReplyDeleteOh Abbey, now I've had Mary Poppins songs stuck in my head! And I love it! We are quite the catch, aren't we?! You, Sister Barry, just need to find your Fred. Then we'll get our Burt and Fred together and have so much fun! :)
DeleteI love this. I almost watched Ready for Love because I think Tim from the Plain White T's is gorgeous. But, I figured I need to try and tone down my celebrity crushes. Tell me I'm wrong if I'm wrong. Anyway, online dating is also a fun adventure and you can meet great people through it. I've done it a few times in the past and I like feeling like I have more control over my dating life and getting more dating opportunities in general. May the dating odds be ever in your favor. Seriously girl. You deserve a good man.
ReplyDeleteTim is quite the catch...but Ernesto has stolen my heart! I may not be there dating him, but I'm falling in love!
DeleteAs far as the online dating goes...I still don't feel like I have much control. I view profiles, send messages, and don't get much back in return. I need to remember to have patience in all things, and just give it more time. And if anyone deserves a good man, it's you with your quick wit and all around awesomeness!
**Random memory-I was thinking about Kabob recently. What fun we had in Key Club!
Oh I love you! I wouldn't change a thing about you. Good luck! Love you, and txt me so we can catch up! I MISS YOU!
ReplyDelete