First, let's get cozy and catch up with one another! I am officially pursuing my degree in Special Education through Utah State University-Tooele Campus. We are in our third semester of classes, and I am loving it! I've learned so much about what it takes to be a teacher, and I'm more and more sure everyday that this is absolutely that path that I am supposed to be on. I love working with children who have special needs-it is so rewarding for me! Over the summer I was required to complete a practicum, which means that I "volunteered" my time for 6 weeks and kept teacher hours. This meant that I had to quit my job. Ouch, right? Actually, no! It was a huge leap of faith, but I knew that I was doing what the Lord wanted me to do, and thus He would take care of me and provide the means for me to get through. And so I went forward with faith, quite my job, spent time pretending to be a teacher, and even squeezed in an extra trip to Alabama in the middle of it all! Guess what-it all worked out!
My practicum taught me so much! I spent the first three weeks in a 1st grade class and had the time of my life! My cooperating teacher was so amazing and helped me start "files" of activities and work for my future students. She taught me how to love students and always see the best in them. She believes in her students so much, and they can feel that. It is vital to believe in your students and their ability not only to learn, but also to make good behavioral choices, and to succeed in all things. I will never forget the lessons I learned from her! The next three weeks I spent in the 3rd grade-another amazing experience, and for completely different reasons. I didn't love my cooperating teacher's classroom management, but I still learned so much. She taught me what it's really like to be a teacher. She was great to let me teach the class-from planning the lesson, teaching, and following up. There were times that I had no idea what I was doing, or I could tell that the kids weren't getting it, and even a time or two when I had no idea what to do. She never let me fall, and was always there to help in those moments. We shed many tears together, and I grew so much as a teacher. Being a teacher isn't easy-something that I've always known, but now I understand. Such great experiences-I wouldn't trade this summer for any thing in the world-even an income. :)
Remember how I said that things worked out? Well they did, and it was one of those "Only in Amanda's World" moments. I was unemployed, but not too worried (yet) because it gave me time to stay with my sister who was expecting her second baby. During this stage of unemployment the ladies in my group from school told me that there were openings for paras in the school district and that I should apply. This was something that I had wanted to do, but figured that because of timing it would be next year before it would work out. I applied, used my group as my references, and waited. As I was chillin with the Turkey (nephew 1) waiting for little Arliss (nephew 2) to be born (literally-my sister was in labor at the hospital and Turkey and I were anxiously waiting at the house) I got a call asking if I could come in for an interview the next day. It was a little crazy and required a parking lot switch-off of the Turkey with Felicia (my new sis in law!) but I made the interview. They told me that they would let me know by Friday if I had a job, and this was Wednesday. Friday came and went with no word. On Monday morning I got a call asking if I was interested in a job starting the next day. Wow! I took it, and I now work as a paraeducator at an elementary school 20 minutes from my house. Life is good. I start work at 9 am (wonderful!) instead of 6 am with my last job, the commute is 20 minutes vs. 40 with the other job, and I get to hang out with kids all day and do what I love and what I'm meant to do.
Through all of this I can really see the hand of the Lord in my life. None of this could have worked out without him. It has all worked out even better than I could have imagined, and that it thanks to the Man who knows what I need so much better than I do. He is molding me into the person He wants me to be, and I am grateful to bend, shape, and sometimes even break to become what I know will be the best me.
Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Oh, and that new nephew of mine-he is
wonderful. Truly a miracle, but that is a story for another day. For now here's a picture.

No comments:
Post a Comment