This past week I went to the wedding of the century. No, it wasn't Bella and Edward's wedding, but that of my friends Jenna and Addison. I went to the reception looking forward to seeing old mission friends, congratulating the happy couple, and maybe getting my piece of wedding cake. I wasn't expecting the deep insights and thoughts that would accompany my attendance that night.
I suppose that as of late I have become a bit of a cynic when it comes to love, which is really weird for me. I'm the kind of person who has always been in love with love, and I love a good romance. For one reason or another I have lost that recently. But Jenna and Addison helped me to gain that part of me back again. As I was at their reception I saw how in love the two of them are, and you could literally feel the newness and excitement of their love. It took me back to how I always feel at the end of a good romance novel or movie-like the world is mine for the taking, and that love is a very real and literal part of it. It also made me feel hopeful to find that kind of love in my own life. Seeing Jenna and Addison as they gazed lovingly into each other's eyes was just the remedy that this lost heart needed.
I don't know what it is about love and romance that has always appealed to me. Perhaps it's the love overcoming all obstacles part of it, or perhaps how love happens in the most random situations and in the most random places. Or maybe it's that love can happen to anyone. I have been in love once in my life, and perhaps that is where my cynicism started. I was head over heels for this guy, and I remember coming home from a date one night and singing/thinking to myself "So this is love..." (the song that Cinderella sings.) It was love, and it felt so good, so new! We were growing in our relationship together, and there was such a great level of trust there. Then one day all of that was destroyed and my heart was broken into a million pieces. Basically, I was told "I love you, but..." it just won't work out between us, you're too young, I'm not ready...there were many reasons, and I didn't really understand any of them. The only thing that I understood was that I had been in love, someone loved me back, and now I hurt in a way that I had never hurt before. It was literally a heart-wrenching pain, and the whole process changed my life.
Since that time I have become much more careful and cautious with my heart and my love. I've been timid in the waters of love. I've been scared and scarred by love. Since that time I have slowly gone away from that person I was, from that hope and joy I felt from love, but I think that it's starting to come back again!
On my way home from the reception I did something that I haven't done before-I turned off my radio and just talked to God like He was sitting right there in the car with me. We talked about my insecurities, and how I would really enjoy having some romantic love in my life right now. I realized as we talked that I didn't really have any specific qualities that I am seeking in the love of my life, which probably makes it harder for the Lord to match me up with the right person! So together the Lord and I came up with a list. Here it is for your enjoyment!
Qualities I need in that special someone:
*Strong relationship with Jesus Christ
*Strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ
*Strong testimony of temple work and the need to attend the temple often
*Someone who makes me feel safe and secure spiritually, emotionally, and physically
*Someone who will make me laugh
*Someone who is passionate about what they do
---I've always struggled as I've tried to imagine the type of work my future spouse will do because I'm torn between wanting a hard-working physical labor kind of guy (like owns a farm or a ranch...) and wanting someone who is more of a businessman. My conclusion is that I want to be with someone who is passionate about what they do, and they know that they are doing what the Lord wants them to do, whether it's raising animals or crops, or working in an office.
*Someone who will love me in spite of my imperfections, whether they be physically, emotionally, or spiritually
*Someone who is like my Dad-every little girl wants to marry her Daddy, and I am no exception!
*Someone who is a leader
*Someone who is good at seeing the good in others and treating them like it
*Someone who inspires me
These are just some of the things that the Lord and I came up with, and a few that I thought of as I was writing. Basically, I just want to fall in love with the perfect guy-the one who is perfect for me. I hope that I am not being too picky! And hopefully I will find this man of my dreams! My heart is getting excited about falling in love even as we speak! Haha
So as I've been thinking about all of these mushy things, I've remembered some of the most amazing compliments that I have received from men in my life, and I want to share them with you. They make me smile, and hopefully they make you smile too!
-I was once told by a boy that I looked like a fairytale. Wow, right? That was a pretty awesome one that I haven't forgotten!
-On Halloween one year I got all dudded up and put on one of my formal dresses and went to a party. I hadn't really thought about what I was supposed to "be" and so when one guy asked me I said the only thing that came to my mind (a wish I guess you could say) "Beautiful" He said "I mean something besides what you already are." What a sweet guy, and what a boost I got!
-Another favorite that actually comes from a roomie, but that I will teach my future spouse. I used to get ready in the morning and as a check of how I was looking that day I would ask my roomie "If you were the man of my dreams, would you fall in love with me today?" to which she would reply "Amanda, if I were the man of your dreams I would fall in love with you every day." Good one, right? I think that she should be a relationship coach and teach guys how to say sweet things like that to girls! Think about how much nicer the world would be... ;)
-This one is my all-time favorite. A guy once said that I have "celestial eyes" and that he felt like he could see into heaven from my eyes. Yup, getting that goofy smile just thinking about that one!
This has been a kind of random post, but it's a look into what is going on in my head right now. Not really breaking news or anything, but just some food for thought. Thanks for reading!
Health and Wholeness Principle #6
-
Today I’m sharing the final principle the Lord gave me for how to walk in
health and wholeness in our body, soul, and spirit. You can click on the
Health t...
1 year ago

No comments:
Post a Comment